Do Use A Diffuser For Real Estate Photography? Which One?

GrasonDomeIn the last year or so I’ve had several readers tell me how much they liked the Graslon Prodigy Dome Diffuser for real estate photography. I must admit that I’m not a big user of diffusers that attach to your flashes. Probably because I learned everything I know about small flashes from Scott Hargis so I use a Sto-Fen diffuser and umbrellas like Scott, but I always try to use walls, doors etc. to bounce flashes off to get the big diffuse light.

Today Mark Miranda told me he was really impressed with the Graslon Prodigy Dome Diffuser that he started to use recently. Mark says:

This is just a plug for a new product I picked up.  I’ve been using the Gary Fong Universal Light Sphere for a couple of years now with great success.  The Graslon Prodigy peaked my interest several months ago, and I finally decided to give it a shot. Fantastic!  Nice, even, soft light that fills up a room.  The downside to the Fong is that it tends to blast a lot of light to the sides, washing out walls.  The Graslon is square, and mirrored inside.  Very little spill to the sides and you don’t waste a lot of lot behind you, so you can tone your flash down a bit.  It comes with either a flat diffuser or a dome.  I’m using the dome which allows you to spread the light out more, taking advantage of bounce from ceilings and walls.

Certainly, this kind of diffuser would be very useful in non-real estate type photography where you can’t depend on walls and doors and ceilings to bounce off but I’m wondering how many out there use diffusers on their small flashes when shooting real estate?

Source Article from